SubjectRe: kernel knowledge of localtime (user-level implememntation)
   So -- we make the VFS know about time-zone changes, surely that would
work? We don't even need this to be overly clever, we would just make
it a simple integer offset from UTC (kernel) time and have a userland
daemon re-sync. this when timezones shift (eg. daylight savings
time).

umm, this thread is going in circles. settimeofday(NULL, &tz) provides
the mechanism to do this. in fact, my original post was just a
question about where to stick the user-level bits. i have it in the
update daemon, for example, as it has minimal overhead (most likely
less than a regularly scheduled cron job) and you never need to call
settimeofday unless the timezone actually changes. given that update
runs every 10 seconds, you even get pretty good resolution on a
timezone switch.

so, who is responsible for the update daemon now? i sent an email a
while back to ewt@redhat.com, but that seems to have fallen on deaf
ears.

-a
asun@u.washington.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:2.066 / U:0.028 seconds]