    SubjectRe: Bridge+firewall - possible?

    I remember seeing a firewall+bridge howto or mini howto with an
    explinationa along the lines of the incoming packet goes through the
    packet filters before getting to the bridge code. this was under 2.0 so
    the 2.1 ipchains may be different.

    David Lang

    On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Jeff Garzik wrote:

    > Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 18:05:50 -0500 (EST)
    > From: Jeff Garzik <>
    > Subject: Bridge+firewall - possible?
    > In designing a firewall for our company, we decided it would be best to
    > build a bridgable, packet-filtering firewall instead of messing with
    > routes, subnetting, and gateways on our 200+ client machines.
    > After I got everything set up, I found out that Linux bridging layer
    > does not go through the packet filter. That makes sense... it's
    > ethernet vs IP layers.
    > My question -- is there any way to set up a packet-filtering bridge
    > using Linux? (including coding)
    > To forestall some of the more obvious responses: We wanted bridging
    > instead of routing because we have a Class C that is pretty much full.
    > Subnetting our address space and setting up the firewall as a gateway
    > involves much pain, especially since we only have four hosts outside
    > the firewall, and over 200 inside. Internally, we have a bunch of 3com
    > SuperStack switches tossing packets around between the various clients.
    > Advice and comments are welcome.
    > Jeff
    > -
    > the body of a message to
    > Please read the FAQ at

    Version: PGP for Personal Privacy 5.0
    Charset: noconv

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.022 / U:5.108 seconds]