    SubjectRe: Problems with to large of a kernel
    Date
    Timm Gleason wrote the following:

    > Having just started messing around with the 2.1.x kernels with the imminent
    > release of 2.2, I am having quite a time of it. I cannot seem to get a
    > kernel image to compile that I may use on a floppy disk. First couple of
    > times through I tried adding in the bits and pieces that I use in the kernel
    > configuration and it wouldn't compile, the kernel size was to large for a
    > zImage. Went through and pared out a bunch of stuff, but to no avail.
    >
    > So, I remove the directory where I was working and untar a fresh copy. make
    > mrproper, make menuconfig (and make no changes), make dep, make clean, make
    > zImage. Too large.
    >
    > tools/build bootsect setup compressed/vmlinux.out CURRENT > zImage
    > Root device is (8, 2)
    > Boot sector 512 bytes.
    > Setup is 1276 bytes.
    > System is 543 kB
    > System is too big. Try using bzImage or modules.
    > make[1]: *** [zImage] Error 1
    > make[1]: Leaving directory `/kernel-devel/2.1.129/linux/arch/i386/boot'
    > make: *** [zImage] Error 2

    how bizarre. My kernel is about 668k. :) What IS it with this kernel size
    limit? Can a kernel be any size as long as the system can handle it?

    > Out of the box, it's too damn big. How is one supposed to add the features
    > that one needs of the default set of configuration choices is too big to
    > begin with?
    >
    > Am I missing something really obvious here, because I am feeling rather
    > inadequate about the whole thing right about now.

    Can you get rid of any of the defaults? I know my first kernel contained
    a hell of a lot of stuff I didn't need so I removed it. Now it's bigger
    then ever... :)

    --
    CaT (cat@zip.net.au) URL: http://www.zip.com.au/dev/null

    There was farting in the air that night,
    It lit so bright,
    Fernando...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:2.656 / U:0.016 seconds]