SubjectRe: High UID support for Linux
Date
> OK, you do it - I'll send you the binary of a program there's no
> source to, you tell me the offsets to every getpwent call therein,
> making sure they are genuine pwent calls and not just data bytes that
> happen to look the same...

In practice it's quite doable in most cases. There are some binary-to-binary
translation tools around. But it seems way overkill.

> Incidentally, remember that not all programs will load registers in
> the same order, and that the arguments pushed on the stack are not
> necessarily done consecutively...

And since the problem is to replace getpwent with getenv(HOME), you have to
recognize that the output of getpwent is only used to extract the home
directory and then patch it up correctly. So much trouble, so little gain.

Stefan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:1.334 / U:0.224 seconds]