    SubjectRe: SMP scalability: 8 -> 32 CPUs
    On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Christof Damian wrote:

    > Oliver Xymoron wrote:
    > >
    > > On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
    > >
    > > > Someone was prepared to donate an old 32-proc Sequent machine (S81: 386/20
    > >
    > > I had a similar sized monster (Convex C1) in my dining room for a year or
    > does anybody know how to get one of these monsters ? i got a pretty big
    > space and free electricity. i am not a kernel hacker, but would like it
    > anyway. i also would be able to put it on my leased line once it is
    > running.

    Generally you will need 3-phase power and quite a bit of cooling as well.
    Most of these things have environmental sensors and will halt if the
    temperature gets above a certain point. A lot of these are scrapped
    because their users realize they can pay for a new machine with the money
    they save on electricity so whoever's giving you "free" electricity might
    take notice.

    My machine was a donation from the local chapter of ACM, which was in turn
    originally a donation from a local university.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.021 / U:8.492 seconds]