SubjectRe: patch to drivers/net/8390.c
On 1 Dec 1998, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> Maybe there should but it still doesn't make it correct to revert
> other peoples' patches just because one doesn't seem to need it.
> Instead of looking at a new kernel release with the 'lets see if we
> can get rid of this patch' eyes, it would be nice if some people
> applied 'I wonder why this is necessary' strategy and started looking
> at the code instead.
You are right. However we live in the Real World(tm)... Linux is
gaining popularity, so there is nothing strange that a lot of users
are gathering around the kernel trying to fix whatever they can.

I have experienced this many times, being SysV FS maintainer.
Every time there was a typo in the code or gcc reported some trivial
warning, I received 20-30 mails with the patch in a day or two. But
when the code got broken a lot, ie. due to new dcache, nobody was
interested in fixing the thing. Im not stating that this is wrong
or something, but c'est la vie... there is nothing you can do about
that. You can only try to cover your back to avoid confusion in the
future. (by adding the appropriate comments, #ifdefs for code that
might me put in question or the one that is only used on some archs.
etc. [1])

I think the guy who sumbitted the patch should have followed the
guidelines mentioned in MAINTAINERS file and sent his patch to 8390
maintainer not to the Linus, but that's another story.

Regards,
Kris
[1] Btw, was this the fix related to some ne.o oops (NULL pointer
IIRC) on Alpha that was reported lately ?
--
Krzysztof G. Baranowski - President of the Harmless Manyacs' Club
"Smith & Wesson - The original point and click interface..."