SubjectRe: Error - unable to load interpreter ?
On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Brad Larden wrote:

> excuse me if I appear to be in the wrong place but I don't seem to be getting any response from the admin list.
>
> I have an acquantance who came to me with a problem that I cannot solve.
> He has a P75 with 72MB of memory running an older 2.0.27 kernel (not sure which distribution). All was working nicely until he added an extra disk - a 4GB disk -(IDE I believe) and mounted it as /var/spool. Now, the machine runs for an indeterminate length of time and then spews forth a message "unable to load interpreter", then shortly after, "out of memory on sendmail", "out of memory on [insert various daemons]" and the machine needs to be rebooted to fix the problem. The length of time varies but is usually less than a day. The motherboard required a bios upgrade to 'see' the new disk and it only has about 6MB used on it.
>
> Having never seen this error myself, I am at a loss to explain it.
> If you require any further information, please let me know. I didn't really know where to start looking so didn't ask too many questions, deciding to poke around in the various FAQ's and such. But having drawn a blank there, decided that this lists members may be able to asssist.
[SNIP!]

A quick me too. This is on 2.0.36pre17 (which is as good as 2.0.36 based
on the changelogs and my hardware).

The machine in question has 64M RAM and 128M swap and was handling a
couple of hundred concurrent connections through a custom proxy. The
'unable to load interpreter' message appeared in the log 3 times but the
box seems to have recovered now (it was using about 70megs of swap when I
got to it a minute or two later).

What I've found thus far (from the mail archives) is that the message
occurs when the ld.so thingum can't be loaded due to a (severe) memory
problem.

Hmmmm ....

I can't find any more useful info than that. I think it's unlikely that I
was out of both swap and RAM so I'd guess the VM balancing is not perfect.

If anyone has any hints as to how to tune the options in /proc/sys/vm to
prevent the problem I'd be interested to hear about it. Either that or
I'll throw some more RAM at the problem to make it go away ;)

Thank you,

--Craig

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.047 / U:0.032 seconds]