    SubjectRe: NTP dumps Linux, film at 11. [Fwd/FYI]
    In message <>,
    nus Torvalds writes:
    | On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Kris Karas wrote:
    | > I thought I would forward a piece of mail to you from one of the NTP
    | > developers. Linux has fallen from grace in their eyes (which you
    | > perhaps already know). They are actively suggesting that people who
    | > need to use time synchronization (NTP) switch to using freebsd.
    | What we need is simply some Linux person who knows and cares about NTP,
    | nothing more. It's unrealistic to assume that BSD people could maintain
    | ntpd with Linux support without anybody in the Linux camp being willing to
    | stand up for the Linux part.

    What's involved? We use NTP quite a lot, especially for the Linux boxes
    (RH5 systems tend to drift a *lot* for some strange reason... it's not their
    kernel, as I see it on my home system which runs a custom configure from
    stock kernel source), and ECE is currently providing two publicly-accessible
    NTP servers; if nobody with more free time steps forward I'll *have* to
    address it, if only for our use.

    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]
    system administrator [WAY too many hats]
    carnegie mellon / electrical and computer engineering KF8NH
    Kiss my bits, Billy-boy.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.019 / U:18.736 seconds]