    SubjectRe: Comments on Microsoft Open Source documentA
    Hi Olaf.

    >> In many cases, the standard protocols aren't optimal. E.g., if
    >> one were designing the web from scratch, one could do a lot better
    >> than HTTP.

    > Most older protocols are even less optimal (I have in mind RFC 822
    > and FTP as the worst offenders), but everyone keeps using them. The
    > only protocol that ever has successfully been abandoned since the
    > introduction of TCP was Gopher.

    Nodz...

    > Even HTTP/1.0 can do everything that FTP does and can do it better
    > (much easier to implement in certain regards), but this hasn't
    > stopped FTP from being used.

    One thing http/1.0 certainly does better than ftp is to freeze and
    drop a link in mid transfer - something that happens with such
    monotonous regularity for me that I've stopped even considering using
    http for file transfers...

    Best wishes from Riley.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.018 / U:88.368 seconds]