    SubjectRe: GURU needed: Linux vs. FreeBSD
    >> "T" == Tethys  <tethys@ml.com> writes:

    >> Still, I'm going to install Linux again (RH5.2) because of
    >> applications (oracle-8, soon JDK with JIT).

    T> So what happened to FreeBSD's fabled support for Linux binaries?
    T> As I understood it, pretty much all Linux software now ran under
    T> FreeBSD...

    There are still problems with Linux threads. A few days ago the Linux
    clone() system call was added to the Linux emulator. I hope indeed
    that within some days the Linux emulator is able to run oracle-8 too.

    >> It is really a pity that the most superior and best organized
    >> system is behind w.r.t. commercial support.

    T> It is really a pity that you feel the need to post flamebait
    T> like this.

    This is not flamebait! It is my opinion. While I'm very glad that
    through Linux the free Unices get a lot of attention, which inderectly
    is also good for FreeBSD, personally I really prefer FreeBSD because
    of its robustness and its development process.

    T> Both Linux and FreeBSD are superb systems, and I'd quite
    T> happily run either on my machines. FreeBSD wins in some areas,
    T> Linux in others. To claim FreeBSD is superior and better
    T> organized is just wrong.

    Indeed, that is true and I should have stated my opinion
    differently. What I meant to say is that I prefer FreeBSD because of
    several reasons, and I think it is a pity that I cannot do all I want
    on FreeBSD (at the moment, until the Linux emulator is improved again)
    because there's more commercial support for Linux.

    --
    /\_/\
    ( o.o ) Peter Mutsaers | Abcoude (Utrecht), | Trust me, I know