    SubjectRe: swapfile security weakeness
    On 6 Nov 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > > On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Jakub Vlasek wrote:
    > >
    > > >i've found that active swapfile could be deleted, which is
    > >
    > > KUDOS TO YOU!!!! I actually *DID* that about a year and a half
    > > ago. I had 2 swap files and didn't need them both. I swapoff'd
    > > one of them and deleted the wrong one. As a result I got major
    > > kernel panics until the system froze, then when I rebooted I had
    > > hard disk corruption on partitions that weren't even mounted in
    > swapon should keep a handle on the inode, which means the file won't
    > be removed from the physical media even if it is unlinked (just like
    > open files aren't.)

    Unfortunately, there are a few issues with that:
    - it doesn't work on inodeless FSes (msdosfs)
    - you can't swapoff() a deleted file, leaving minor
    fs corruption on reboot (and major corruption on
    umsdos and the like)
    - since you can't swapoff() the deleted file, you
    can't reclaim the disk space

    This basically means that we have a real problem at
    hand that should be fixed.

    Rik -- typing slowly because my kbd is dvorak since sun 19:40...
    | Linux memory management tour guide. |
    | Scouting Vries cubscout leader. |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.019 / U:1.992 seconds]