SubjectRe: Volume Managers in Linux
On Wed, Nov 04, 1998 at 01:22:31PM +0100, Hans Eric Sandström wrote:
> Florian Lohoff wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 03, 1998 at 11:45:22AM -0500, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> > I disagree with you in that point. When i talked to Heinz at the Linux
> > Kongress in Germany i dreamed of a simple install with removed complexity
> > where most of the Newbies fail - Partitioning. Think of having an installation
> > where you ONLY have to choose the harddrive and possibly ONE partition and
> > the installer will automatically create a /usr /tmp /var /home / and swap
> > logical volume(s) and the user does NOT have to care on choosing the sizes
> > for those because they will be increased on installation automatically
> > (If we have an LVM AND resizeable filesystems)
> >
> > If you ever installed an AIX you whish of doing this with your
> > linux distribution - Just choose Harddrive, language and dont care.
> > It will install in small 4MB partitions for / /var /tmp /usr /home
> > and you will be able to increase them for your needs after
> > the systems comes up finally.
> >
> > You sure need big file support bug i think big file support is something
> > for BIG SERVERS serving Databases with >2GB Data volume. This is
> > 5000 serves in the World - End users you have millions nowerdays.
> >

> Please, Can anoyone explain to me why you want to create separate filesystems for
> / /usr /tmp/ /var /home. I really cant find any use for this! and I am speking
> from over 10 yrs of experinece with lost of different unix systems here. And what
> I want is reliable systems that dont fail because some filesystem that went full.

Its great if a user floods /tmp and you email system wont accept email anymore
because the /var/spool/mail and /var/spool/mqueue is full.

> My resason for this is mainly (KISS). I have come by HP and AIX boxes that have
> actually crashed beacuse the people who did the original installation did to slim
> / and /usr or whatever partitions.

See your statement above - You declare HP and AIX unreliable which is the
opposite of what i feel like working with both. I like the way AIX asks me
to grow /usr automatically on software installation e.g. through smit.

> The need for growing and shrinking partitions on HP and AIX seems to stem from
> this philosophy of makin a lot of filesystems and making them slim so we have a
> lot of free space to grow in.... And yes I know AIX has an autogrow feature but
> this only pushes the problem of full filesystems to the limit where your disks
> are full. Its no better than having all free space in the existing root
> filesystem. Actually it's worse since you go out of disk sooner since the free
> space in the other partitions can't be usen or is there an autoshrink feature
> also.

I am not a fan of enabling "autogrow" all the time but IF a filesystem gets
full i want to be ABLE to grow it or even spread on another hot plugged hd
added to my VG.

> What wrong with having a big / partition with lots of free space to grow in. And
> leave the fragmentation/quota issues to the filesystem implementation.

What do you do if you would like to give a user 30MB in /home and 100MB for
/var/spool/mail ... no way of doing this in a single filesystem with quota.

Flo
--
Florian.Lohoff@mediaWays.net +49-5241-80-7085
Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick any two (you can't have all three). (RFC 1925)