SubjectNew DoS via SAK?
Hi guys,

How can one trigger the SAK? I always thought it was through the keyboard
but after tonight I'm not so sure.

I don't have any logs of what happened but here's what I suspect happened.
I was using BitchX on IRC, happily having a nice chat. Then one moment,
someone sent a bunch of some weird characters to me through BitchX. BitchX
worked normally so didn't think anything of this. However, immediately
following that, I noticed that my keyboard wasn't responding at all. It
didn't do anything apart from every keypress seemed to step through the
history list of commands. None of the xterm sessions I had open seemed to
accept anything apart from that.

Then I tried using the mouse, thinking perhaps I could restart the X11
server session. At this point, I noticed it was bringing up the SAK menu
in X11 (Never seen that before but that was cool!) I eventually killed the
X11 server and restarted it. All was back to normal after that, although
it must be stressed nothing was broken apart from the fscked up X11 server
and buggered xterm sessions. I'm only concerned that it could be used for
more nefarious things.

I really think that triggering the SAK should send something to the system
logs so that one can trace back the events that led up to this.

Cheers,
Alex
--
/\_/\ Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
> ^ < Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk - *new* - rewritten for text browser users!

Linux tahallah 2.1.126 #59 SMP Sat Oct 24 11:46:13 EDT 1998
Two Intel Pentium Pro processors, 331.78 total bogomips, 48M RAM
System library 2.0.99

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.113 / U:0.088 seconds]