SubjectRe: 10,000 fds, 10,000 tasks
Date
> I have a legitimate reason to open ~10,000 files and ~10,000 tasks on an
> Alpha/Linux box. (If not thousands more...)

Im intrigued

> 1) Is there a maximum amount of TASKS that I can have? I know
> that this number is tunable in "tasks.h", but are there any other limits
> that I should be aware of? (Can I just define it as 10,000?)

Its tunable. On some platforms (eg X86) it has a hardware limit. There
shouldnt be a software one but Im not an Alpha geek

> 2) Is there a maximum amount of OPEN_FILES that I can have?
> Once again, I know that this number is tunable in "fs.h" and "limits.h",
> and that /proc/sys/fs/file-max exists, but are there any other limits
> that I should be aware of? (I heard some rumblings about issues with
> select...) (I have also heard of a 3000fds patch... Where does this
> exist? )

There is a limit in 2.0 on the amount per process to do with the stack
size, there is a patch to work around this. If you can't find it email
me and I'll send it you off list.

> 3) On Digital Unix, we eventually run into a limit of the number of
> processes because of memory. (Each process has a certain footprint, and each
> new one takes a small piece of memory from the overall available) What is the
> footprint of a linux process and can it be reduced?

1 page for the kernel stack, some memory for the page tables and then 1 page
for the process info and sundries (like fd table) rising as you up the
max files/process limit. I'd expect the numbers to be fairly similar to
the values Digital Unix takes actually.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.688 / U:0.012 seconds]