    SubjectRe: SMP scalability: 8 -> 32 CPUs
    On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > On Sun, 29 Nov 1998 16:45:17 -0500 (GMT), ramak@wipinfo.soft.net
    > (Ramakrishna K) said:
    >
    > > Also just a general question from curiosity perspective, is the
    > > performance of a cluster of these boxes better than a say 1024
    > > way SMP box. This is assuming we are able to scale it to say 1024
    > > CPUs. This is vis-a-vis compared to a cluster involving SMP boxes
    > > ( totally adding upto 1024 CPU's ).
    >
    > You simply cannot answer a question like that! Let me restate your
    > question:
    >
    > "Let's assume that we invent some mechanism for binding 1024
    > cpus into a single box. I know it doesn't exist yet, but how
    > fast will it be?"
    >
    > Binding that many CPUs together is hard! You tell me how you plan to do
    > it, and _then_ I'll tell you whether clustering is faster. :)
    >
    > --Stephen

    With all this talk of Linux not scaling past 8 CPUs, does this
    imply that Linux will never be ported to the connection machine?
    It is Sparc based after all. Speaking of which.... Sun borrowed
    that technology when designing the E10000. Does that mean if
    you load Linux up on that system you will only be able to
    use 8 of the 64 CPUs?

    David F. Newman
    buzzwang@ourvillage.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.022 / U:1.732 seconds]