    SubjectRe: unkown PCI device
    On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Martin Mares wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > > Sorry, I've just realized that it shouldn't have sent to the list because
    > > /proc/pci is absolote in 2.1.x kernels, and other utilites like lspci
    > > have user space solutions (/etc/pci.ids for example). Sorry again.
    > >
    > > Btw : When /proc/pci will be removed from the kernel source ?
    >
    > Since several commercial X servers parse /proc/pci to get device addresses,
    > we probably need to keep this interface in 2.2. If Linus agrees, I'll remove
    > it at start of the 2.3 line.

    Is there any good reason why /proc/pci couldn't be generated at boot time
    using a script of some kind? That way, old stuff that relies on it could
    still work, new PCI devices could be included without having to alter the
    kernel[1][2] and kernel developers get the freedom to clean out kruft from
    the kernel.

    Cheers,

    Simon

    [1] I may have misread some of the arguments here, but the impression that
    I have is that the device strings are stored in the kernel.
    [2] Since you could use a file to store any information needed....

    --
    Personificaters of the world unite!
    You've nothing to loose but Mr Dignity