SubjectRe: unkown PCI device
On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Martin Mares wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > Sorry, I've just realized that it shouldn't have sent to the list because
> > /proc/pci is absolote in 2.1.x kernels, and other utilites like lspci
> > have user space solutions (/etc/pci.ids for example). Sorry again.
> >
> > Btw : When /proc/pci will be removed from the kernel source ?
>
> Since several commercial X servers parse /proc/pci to get device addresses,
> we probably need to keep this interface in 2.2. If Linus agrees, I'll remove
> it at start of the 2.3 line.

Is there any good reason why /proc/pci couldn't be generated at boot time
using a script of some kind? That way, old stuff that relies on it could
still work, new PCI devices could be included without having to alter the
kernel[1][2] and kernel developers get the freedom to clean out kruft from
the kernel.

Cheers,

Simon

[1] I may have misread some of the arguments here, but the impression that
I have is that the device strings are stored in the kernel.
[2] Since you could use a file to store any information needed....
--
Personificaters of the world unite!
You've nothing to loose but Mr Dignity