    SubjectRe: SMP scalability: 8 -> 32 CPUs
    On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > On Sun, 29 Nov 1998 16:45:17 -0500 (GMT), ramak@wipinfo.soft.net
    > (Ramakrishna K) said:
    >
    > > Also just a general question from curiosity perspective, is the
    > > performance of a cluster of these boxes better than a say 1024
    > > way SMP box. This is assuming we are able to scale it to say 1024
    > > CPUs. This is vis-a-vis compared to a cluster involving SMP boxes
    > > ( totally adding upto 1024 CPU's ).
    >
    > You simply cannot answer a question like that! Let me restate your
    > question:
    >
    > "Let's assume that we invent some mechanism for binding 1024
    > cpus into a single box. I know it doesn't exist yet, but how
    > fast will it be?"
    >
    > Binding that many CPUs together is hard! You tell me how you plan to do
    > it, and _then_ I'll tell you whether clustering is faster. :)
    >
    > --Stephen

    There is a very simple answer to this:)
    Unless it's a problem that will take years to complete, the cluster will
    finish the job sooner (only metric that really makes sense), since you can
    make one now.

    --
    Henrik Olsen, Dawn Solutions I/S
    URL=http://www.iaeste.dk/~henrik/