SubjectRe: Soundblaster 64 PCI with Linux
On Nov 26,  1:12pm, Brendan Bye-Bye Coleridge Cully wrote:
> Subject: Re: Soundblaster 64 PCI with Linux
> On Thursday, 26 November 1998 at 13:18, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > How can I use a Soundblaster 64 PCI with Linux?
> > > Is this card supported yet?
> >
> > modprobe es1371
>
> Does anyone know anything about the PCI128? I can get
> sound out of this board with modprobe 1370 (not 1371?
> is the 128 inferior to the 64?), but the drivers
> that come with the kernel seem to get a lot of DMA
> timeouts, and programs often seem to hang trying to
> open /dev/dsp (don't receive TERM, either, only KILL),
> after which nothing can use sound... so I guess the
> chip isn't identical.

I have one of those cards on a Win98 box (yeah, I know...) and have odd
problems with it as well. (It occasionally blue screens in the audio driver
and then endlessly repreats the last few seconds of audio in an endless loop.)
Support on that card via Creative Labs seems to be nil. (It looks like a
stopgap effort until they could get their 128 live cards out.)

I will be testing the card under Linux, but I am starting to wonder just how
stable the hardware is on that card.

Your milage may vary.

--
Alan Olsen