    SubjectGURU needed: Linux vs. FreeBSD

    Linux vs. FreeBSD: I wonder what kernel/OS is considered the best and most
    stable to run on a high-loaded systems, such WWW/SQL/FTP/NEWS systems
    with big traffic?

    Actually I noticed many of well-known WWW/FTP sites are running
    FreeBSD, much more of big ISPs in my area (Moscow, Russia) prefer FreeBSD for heavy
    loaded sites too. I even heard real success stories of FreeBSD dual PPro
    server runing about 1000 virtual sites with a peak load average of
    150.00++.

    So, what about Linux kernel? What do linux gurus think: is Linux a good
    choice for a professional heavy-loaded WWW/SQL/FTP/NEWS system? Is it
    stable if heavy-loaded? Any pointers to docs answering my question?

    If speaking about my experience, we are a small ISP distributing our
    services on many Linux boxes, so there are no experience of running
    heavy-loaded systems, no problems. But I wonder what happens if I need a
    stable solution for big traffic one day.

    Thank you.

    Sincerely yours,

    Ilia Zubkov,
    Educational Network technical director

    P.S. Sorry if this is considered an offtopic.