    SubjectRe: [patch] my latest oom stuff
    On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    >The reason - tadaam - is so silly that it's embarrassing. The thing is,
    >that the things that should use GFP_USER don't. They use GFP_KERNEL

    I thought to change that but I was not sure (and infact some email ago I
    asked that to you too). I have not changed that myself because I was
    worryed that userspace allocation could be too much light. It would be
    nice to know if using GFP_USER and disabling kswapd (at the end of
    vmscan.c) causes process to segfaults (so that we can know if a real time
    process can alloc/swapout memory safely).

    My FP_IMPOSSIBLE code works fine here and detect the OOM perfectly. My
    __get_free_pages() handle the GFP_USER allocation fine too, the only
    differences is that it returns 0 when the machine is really really OOM
    (even if there is some unused page). The point now is that using GFP_USER
    for the userspace memory allocation sure works but _maybe_ is hiding an
    _eventually_ possible deadlock. Right now I have no idea on how to
    reproduce the deadlock using device drivers or network, maybe it' s really

    Right now I am rejecting the FP_* code from my tree though.

    Andrea Arcangeli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.020 / U:185.276 seconds]