    SubjectRe: GURU needed: Linux vs. FreeBSD
    On Tue, 03 Nov 1998, menion wrote:

    > I belive that hotmail runs on SUN's. Microsoft tried to change it to NT
    > but a whole boatload of enginners could not have kept the Titanic afloat
    > either.

    Yep, and those Suns are running NetBSD iirc. As somebody else has
    mentioned, this has a lot to do with the maturity of the operating systems
    at the time these services were implemented and the experience/tastes of
    the systems administrators involved. It has nothing to do with _current_
    performance benchmarks whatsoever.

    Many of the less-clued *BSD advocates use examples like this of major
    services running on their particular flavour to "prove" that it is "quite
    obvious" their flavour is superior. But the real issue is that these
    services are running fine, the admin know how all the components of the
    systems are working together, and according to the problem-solving
    flowchart the next steps are "don't fuck with it" -> "no problems".
    Hotmail/Microsoft had to learn this the hard way.

    I have no doubt whatsoever that a current Linux system run by competent
    administrators put to the same task will tear strips off NetBSD. But
    there's simply too much cost involved for Hotmail to switch. They've
    been there, done that, and got fried like a chicken.

    --
    Matt