    SubjectRe: typo in scsi_obsolete.c

    On Sun, 29 Nov 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > On Sun, 29 Nov 1998, Gerard Roudier wrote:
    >
    > >> + /* FIXME: last_reset == 0 is allowed */
    >
    > This mean last_reset == 0 is the same as last_reset == 1 or last_reset ==
    > -1.

    But some codes rely on zero value to keep track on the delay being not
    valid. If 0 and 1 are the same, just have to prevent jiffies from being 0
    by jumping to 1 after ~0ul and you will get a nice 0=1 condition that will
    make happy all codes relying on some zero kernel time value. :-)

    > >This comment does not make sense for a variable that wraps around.
    >
    > Woops, I think that you have misunderstood the comment or my comments
    > sounds bad... ;)

    The comment points to a bug or is just useless.

    > >By the way, the ncr53c8xx driver assumes that linux will be rebooted
    > >before the 497 days uptime that wraps jiffies around.
    >
    > If this is true

    It should not be false. But the jiffies wrap-around problem had been
    stated not urgent by Linus. I only want to fix it in time. :)

    > (as I just said some time ago), you should at least change
    > the:
    >
    > jiffies++
    >
    > with
    >
    > if (!(jiffies+1))
    > {
    > sync();
    > panic("jiffies wrap");
    > }
    > jiffies++;

    Are you sure this change would make any difference? ;-)

    > You should also document the thing. I am not aware of a FAQ that say that
    > linux has to be resetted on day 497.

    I am wondering if humans will really continue using computers after the
    Y2K crash which will occur in less time for jiffies to wrap around on
    machines running 2.2 kernels. :-)

    > I think we are lucky though since the reset-scsi code is the only thing I
    > am aware that isn' t jiffy wrap compliant (or at least not trivially
    > fixable) right now. I' ll spend my next spare time on it infact.

    If you have much spare time, you may have some chance to succeed, IMO. ;-)

    > Ideas and comments are always welcome...

    Will try to have some.

    Regards,
    Gerard.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.024 / U:0.236 seconds]