SubjectRe: High UID support for Linux
> I can't belive this. I'm talking about programs that have already been
> deployed and already use getpwuid(). The point is that there is a
> solution which means that you don't have to modify the source, you
> don't have to recompile, and you don't have to relink your programs.
> Sorry for ranting but the "we don't care about binary compatibility"
> attitude that Linux people have gives Linux a very bad name and it
> creates a significant amount of work for people running systems with
> lots of users.

We *do* care about it, that's why we are avoiding the
kind of interface changes which *force* you to upgrade
everything.

> That's why I want 16 bit uid to 32 bit uids to be a planned change,
> rather than for it to be flag day for Linux where everyone has to
> throw away all their existing code.

If your runtime environment has only 16-bit UIDs, use of
old binaries via old syscalls will continue as before
*without any changes*.

If you want to operate in the extended universe, *then* you
need to move into the lattest and greatest stuff which uses
extended valuespace syscalls, but for majority of the people
that is *not* required! (Along with glibc which knows about
the new syscalls, and knows how to map values from it to
the old structures when needed..)

> Peter, who's just discovered the joys of compiling code which mixes
> libraries compiled with gcc 2.8 and gcc 2.7.

C++ ?

/Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@sonera.fi>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.082 / U:0.044 seconds]