    SubjectRe: /dev/nvram on my Celebris

    > On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Johnny Tevessen wrote:
    >
    > > Quoting Riccardo Facchetti (fizban@tin.it):
    >
    > > Yes. So: Nobody sane working on a box that *might* be taken over
    > > should enable such settings at compile time. He/she won't even
    > > be able to reboot if someone became root (by a yet unknown
    > > attack that might even pass a firewall).
    >
    > Considering it may be built as a module, I'd say it would be trivial to
    > compile on the attacked box.

    Quite easy to disable modules in the first place. However there's nothing
    to stop the attacker compiling a new kernel and rebooting into it unless you
    go to significant effort there too, and then it becomes a pain to quickly fix
    a kernel problem which suddenly comes up.

    David.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.018 / U:124.364 seconds]