SubjectRe: Reducing the size of the kernel

Take a look at the 'linux router project' see appended
message from Dave Cinege founder there of. Hth

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Hans-Joachim Baader wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm building a special purpose router which runs practically nothing
> than the kernel. So far it fits easily in 4 MB of RAM. Now I'm looking
> for a way to fit it in 2 MB because this router will be built in
> large quantities, so every saved part obviously is worth some effort.
>
> I've already applied some of the ideas of Paul Gortmakers' memory saver
> patch (for kernel 1.0.9). But I'm looking for more kernel parameters
> to tune down. What are the greatest memory hogs in the kernel?
>
> Specifically, I cannot use swap space, so I could remove any swapping
> code from the kernel. But I don't have much time, so where should I
> start looking? CONFIG_SWAP, anyone?
>
> Before you ask: ELKS is not an option because it's not usable yet and
> doesn't support PCMCIA...
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> hjb
> --
> "Every use of Linux is a proper use of Linux."
> -- John "Maddog" Hall, Keynote at the Linux
> Kongress in Cologne
, JimL
| James W. Laferriere - Network Engineer - babydr@baby-dragons.com |
| System Techniques - 25416 - 22nd S. - Des-Moines, WA 98198 |
| Give me VMS -or- Give me Linux -but- only on AXP |

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Dave Cinege wrote:

> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 09:28:34 GMT
> From: Dave Cinege <dcinege@psychosis.com>
> To: comp.os.linux.misc@tu-darmstadt.de,
> linux-net <linux-net@vger.rutgers.edu>
> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking, comp.os.linux.misc
> Subject: ANNOUNCE: Linux Router Project -- v2.9.2 Released
>
> v2.9.2 of linux router is out. LRP is now fully glibc based, and this is a very
> solid release.
>
> ^S
> You can download it from:
> ftp://ftp.psychosis.com/linux/linux-router/
> And get more info from:
> http://www.psychosis.com/linux-router/
>

> Linux Router Project (LRP) n.
> A networking centric mini-distribution of Linux. LRP is small enough to
> fit on a single 1.44MB floppy disk, and makes building and maitaining
> routers, terminal servers, and typically embedded networking systems next to
> trivial.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.050 / U:0.056 seconds]