SubjectRe: weird routing thing (solved!)

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, William Stearns wrote:

> Good evening, Eric,

Hey, judging by the 2.1.130 announcement Linus just made on l-k
I guess we aren't the only ones at the console this fine Thanksgiving
evening. What was even funnier was I had just broken out a bottle
of fine red wine too!

> Simply specify the interface, ala:
>
> traceroute -i ppp0 goofy.iswnet.com

The traceroute I have at home on a slackware box (where everything
works fine) doesn't have a -version or -i switch but on the RedHat
5.1 boxes it does.

> and it should work just fine. I don't know why traceroute fails
> to use the routing table to decide when it worked in previous versions,
> but at least you can work around it with the above trick.

ah, previous versions, it becomes clearer now. I must be used to older
traceroutes.

> Hmmm... traceroute is the only app, to my knowledge, that suffers
> from this. Is
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> in resolv.conf? Does nlookup confirm that the local nameserver is
> hosed? Do you have any named error messages in /var/log/messages?

For some reason the eth0 IP address was in resolv.conf, I switched
it to 127.0.0.1 (which seems more reasonable anyway) and named
weirdness straightened out and started to work as I expected it to.

It appears that the named weirdness combined with the (to me)
unfamiliar traceroute conspired to mislead me.

> Best of luck with the client. Cheers,

Thanks, I'm gonna make him _real_ happy with his new linux box
and astound him with all of the amazing things linux can do. He's
coming from a SCO platform. (btw, SCO has said to me that they
don't have any fixes for their syn-flooding problems, so round up
all those SCO Openserver boxes and tuck them safely behind your
hardened linux firewalls. Unless you don't _mind_ if someone can
turn off all of your ports ;-)

> - Bill
>
> PS - I removed linux-kernel from the follow-up; perhaps you could
> summarize to the list when you find the solution?

Thanks guys, I got a good half dozen replies and they were all
helpful. The turnaround was nothing short of amazing considering
it's Thanksgiving evening in this part of the world.

Sorry I had to bug linux-kernel with this but the linux-admin list seems
to need fixing. I was getting desperate about getting my question out into
a (working) cluon stream.

Regards,
Eric

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.036 / U:0.152 seconds]