    SubjectRe: High UID support for Linux
    Date
    In article <linux.kernel.ABZ7KNsqUK@khim.sch57.msk.ru>,
    Khimenko Victor <khim@sch57.msk.ru> wrote:
    >25-Nov-98 10:55 you wrote:
    >>>And at that point, they
    >>>might as well just switch to glibc.
    >
    >> Get back to me when an a.out glibc that can fit on an install
    >> floppy is written [2].
    >

    >> [1: and probably is.]
    >> [2: libc 4.8.0 is 412 blocks long; if glibc is clocking in at
    >> that size range, please let me know.]
    >
    >Libc 4.7.2 is 620K here, glibc 2.0.7 is 632K here. Not so big dfference to me
    >(hint -- you do not need debug info in glibc library on installation floppy :-)

    If you run a makehole program, it sucks 200k out of 4.8.0; I don't have
    glibc 2.0.7 lying around, but I've had little luck pulling holes out
    of other elf libraries (it's particularly annoying with libc 5.0.9,
    because it's 560k, but it refuses to squeeze down below that point.
    I've got about 120k free on an install floppy these days, but fully
    expect that this happy state of affairs will come to a screeching
    stop when I roll Mastodon up to a 2.2 kernel.

    When I get the chance to build glibc, I'll see how amenable it is
    being squeezed -- if that works, the post-millenia release of
    Mastodon will become elf.

    >And why you need a.out after all ???

    Well, part if it is long-term reliability. I'm still crossing my
    fingers that the glibc maintainers won't promiscuously hack at the
    published interface, but while I'm waiting I can build all the
    system programs against a.out libraries and know that some user
    won't convert the system into a pile of nonfunctional debris by a
    badly chosen upgrade.

    ____
    david parsons \bi/ Of course by then everyone will have bootable CDs,
    \/ which will make things a bit easier.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.022 / U:1.540 seconds]