SubjectRe: kerneli blowfish/twofish compromised?
On Thu, Nov 26, 1998 at 11:13:01AM +0800, David Luyer wrote:

> Is it legal to export the source code on paper in a non-text
> format? eg: text with barcode down the side, barcode is what you
> actually read?

yes -- when the NY Time did an article on Adam Backs .sig and other
things, they had a photo of rsa on a bardcode, which I hear was
deliberatly blurred so as not to test export restrictions.

> Also, how about writing a sed filter for C->English and for the
> generated English->C? Surely if source code is run through this
> filter is is then exportable, as it is now a description rather
> than a program.

It's been done -- but it's arguably still illegal if its machine
readable.

> A third point is that arms are exportable if fired in a rocket over
> the border AFAIK.

Really? There is some exclusion covering rockets or the border? Where
can I get more details on this?

> Fourthly, is it legal to display cryptography source code on TV
> (some small community TV station near the border - maybe
> UofTexas@ElPaso have one which could be used in the early hours of
> the morning?)?

If the signal is received and decoded outside the us -- its an
export.

-cw

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.185 / U:1.536 seconds]