    SubjectRe: Linux-2.1.129..
    Linus Torvalds <> wrote:

    : On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
    :> Indeed. However, I think it misses the real advantage, which is that
    :> the mechanism would be inherently self-tuning (much more so than the
    :> existing code).

    : Yes, that's one of the reasons I like it.

    : The other reason I like it is that right now it is extremely hard to share
    : swapped out pages unless you share them due to a fork(). The problem is
    : that the swap cache supports the notion of sharing, but out swap-out
    : routines do not - they swap things out on a per-virtual-page basis, and
    : that results in various nasty things - we page out the same page to
    : multiple places, and lose the sharing.

    There is definitely a problem with this in 2.1.129. I was trying to run
    StarOffice 5 which is an 60+MB process splitted in 7 kernel threads on
    a 128MB machine. It filled the swap space completely and swapped all the
    time although the complete working set + X server should have barely fit
    into the 128MB.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.020 / U:26.180 seconds]