SubjectRe: Linux-2.1.129..
Linus Torvalds <> wrote:

: On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
:> Indeed. However, I think it misses the real advantage, which is that
:> the mechanism would be inherently self-tuning (much more so than the
:> existing code).

: Yes, that's one of the reasons I like it.

: The other reason I like it is that right now it is extremely hard to share
: swapped out pages unless you share them due to a fork(). The problem is
: that the swap cache supports the notion of sharing, but out swap-out
: routines do not - they swap things out on a per-virtual-page basis, and
: that results in various nasty things - we page out the same page to
: multiple places, and lose the sharing.

There is definitely a problem with this in 2.1.129. I was trying to run
StarOffice 5 which is an 60+MB process splitted in 7 kernel threads on
a 128MB machine. It filled the swap space completely and swapped all the
time although the complete working set + X server should have barely fit
into the 128MB.