SubjectRe: APM "SuspendToDisk" implementation problem

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > The problem is that the settings on the harddisk/io-controller are lost
> > and the kernel needs to reset them. Of course, you cannot rely on loading
>
> Well actually the APM bios needs fixing

I don't think this is the solution. What if you have this new, fancy disk
the bios knows nothing about ? Scsi controller ? Firewire ?
Of course the bios has to know how to save the memory, but it doesn't have
to be the only disk.

> > I think that bios is supposed to make a call before doing suspend. It may
> > make sense (as a hack) to explicitly load needed utils into memory before
> > allowing it to suspend. Or, better, make kernel default to the safest mode
> > w.r.t. disk i.o. and then switch with hdparm. (this will allow apmd
> > to load).
>
> The bios is supposed to save the state of stuff. I understood the problem
> as being the disk reverted back to dumb mode, in which case presumably you
> can at least slowly run hdparm ..

You can't. The kernel cries about IRQ's being lost (judging from the
reports of other people)..

Vladimir Dergachev

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.061 / U:0.632 seconds]