Subjectyesss, sound in 2.0.36
Date
Just want to thank alan for the modular sound work in 2.0.36!

I don't actually _have_ 2.0.36 but pinching his sound stuff and patching
it into my tree has made linus (english.au) talk out of my TP380XD!
It's got a C4232 card, but it seems to be talking nicely using the sb
driver now. It was mute before.

I had a slightly smudged 2.0.35 kernel in there already (I've been
trying SuSE 5.2), with a monolithic sound driver. Thanks to the person
(sorry - lost the post) who pointed out the 2.0.36-2 sound patch at RH a
bit earlier this evening I decided to have a stab at modularising that
2.0.35 with the new stuff ..

.. I gotta say that Michael Chastain has changed the sound Makefiles
to a format that is slightly utterly incomprehensible. I like
abstractions, but they have to be commented if I'm going to use them.

The 2.0.36-2 sound patch would fail on the Makefile against vanilla
2.0.36, as far as I can see. There are secondary patches needed that
are mixed into sound.diff and 2.0.36-pre-patch-14 in the RH kernel
2.0.36-0.7 SRPM. There's a minor extra posix include needed in
kerneld.h to define NULL. There's a confusing sound-new-patch in the RH
SRPM that seems to be already covered elsewhere, except maybe for a
dependency addition in an obscure config for a OPL*.

And then sound_firmware.c needs functions lseek and sys_open and
sys_read that I can't locate for the life of me (I think I had this
problem the last time I tried backporting one of Alans modular sound
patches). Where do these come from? I gave up in the end and just
nuked the function that loads firmware.

But that's "all", and now, in the 2.0.35 kernel which I haven't even
rebooted yet, sound!!! :

sb 6 0
soundcore 1 [sb] 0
ad1848 4 0
uart401 2 [sb] 0
sound 15 [sb ad1848 uart401] 0
soundlow 1 [sound] 0
sound_core 1 [sound] 6
psaux 1 1 (autoclean)
autofs 2 1 (autoclean)
dummy0 1 1 (autoclean)
nfs 12 5 (autoclean)
3c589_cs 2 1
ds 2 [3c589_cs] 2
i82365 5 2
pcmcia_core 9 [3c589_cs ds i82365] 0
serial 7 0 (autoclean)
memstat 1 0
nls_iso8859_1 1 1 (autoclean)
nls_cp437 1 1 (autoclean)
vfat 4 1 (autoclean)
fat 6 [vfat] 1 (autoclean)
nls 1 [nls_iso8859_1 nls_cp437 vfat fat] 0 (autoclean)
Module Pages Used by

Ta very much!

Peter

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.115 / U:0.040 seconds]