    SubjectRe: Oops in 2.1.129
    On Tue, Nov 24, 1998 at 12:33:52PM +1130, Paul Rusty Russell wrote:
    > In message <> you write:
    > > 2.1.129 get a Null Pointer Dereference followed by an oops, followed by a
    > > panic when I enable ip_forwarding under 2.1.129 with masquarading ipchains
    > > rules present.
    > >
    > > My IP chains rules:
    > >
    > > ipchains -P forward DENY
    > > ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s -d
    > >
    > > Then I enable forwarding:
    > >
    > > echo "1" >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    > >
    > > Then it goes boom (keyed in from my notes):
    > Sorry for the delay; you should probably have sent this to the IP
    > Firewalling maintainer as well; linux-kernel has too much noise about
    > elevating chickens in assembler.

    Whoops... Sorry.

    It's been a while since I've followed the devel kernel stuff. The only
    address I remembered was the Linux kernel mailing list.

    > > >From my / around the value of EIP:
    > >
    > > c016eba0 t find_special
    > > c016ecd0 t cleanup
    > > c016ed40 t ip_fw_check
    > > c016f2d0 t zero_fw_chain
    > This trace is currupted: cleanup() is a leafnode. It's almost
    > certainly the masq code barfing on a fragment. While that *shouldn't*
    > happen, it doesn't surprise me since few people do this.

    yes.. I noticed this later and looked up all the return addresses in the
    call trace. Here's a better look:

    Address closest to EIP and the addresses in the call trace (in order):
    c016ecd0 t cleanup (EIP)
    c016ed40 t ip_fw_check
    c0170304 T ipfw_forward_check
    c0149a6c T call_fw_firewall
    c015819c T ip_forward
    c0157538 T ip_rcv
    c014c3f8 T net_bh
    c0119570 T get_ioport_list
    c010a560 T do_IRQ
    c0108cec T ret_from_intr
    c0107b7c T sys_rt_sigsuspend

    And you're entirely right. It's barfing in ip_fw_check.

    Unfortunately, it still barfs even with always defragment turned on. Unless
    my kernel configuration is borked, there's still something that needs

    Brian Ristuccia

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.022 / U:0.120 seconds]