    Subject2.1.129: "TCPv4 bad checksum" errors with PPP
    Hi,

    Since 2.1.127 or thereabouts, I've noticed lots of "TCPv4 bad checksum"
    errors in my kernel logs. This is over a PPP connection.

    I know that there are supposed to be bugs with some ISPs VJ header
    compression, so I disabled it at the Linux end with "novj".
    Unfortunately, there are still checksums errors with VJ header
    compression disabled. :-(

    It's possible that these errors were occurring with some earlier kernels
    and I wasn't seeing them. However when they occur, the responsiveness
    of the connection is affected noticably, and I didn't notice this with
    some older kernels.

    These errors come in bursts, lasting a few minutes. Traffic does
    continue to get through, but things like FTP downloads tend to stall for
    a few tens of seconds while this is happening.

    The errors sometimes take a couple of hours to appear, but they do
    always appear. My logs for the last week are full of them.

    I logged some of the received PPP frames, in case that information is
    useful.

    Any thoughts?

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.018 / U:211.740 seconds]