    SubjectRe: High UID support for Linux
    On Thu, Nov 19, 1998 at 05:38:39PM -0500, Jon Leonard wrote:

    > Has anybody looked seriously at supporting 32 bit UIDs on Linux? We'd
    > really like to make Linux a commodity at Umich, but with a user base of
    > about 100,000, high UIDs are an absolute requirement. I've only just
    > started looking at this, but scanning the include files, it would appear
    > that some platforms already support high UIDs, but not i386.

    Many (most?) people still have libc5 -- which will break.

    > Just for grins, I tried changing the typedef in linux/types.h and
    > recompiling the kernel. Wouldn't even boot. Then I noticed that the
    > uid and gid fields in ext2 inodes are 16 bits. So it seems like this is
    > a project, not than a hack. (This was on 2.0.35.)

    ext2fs has reserved space for larger uid's -- hurd I beleive uses
    this.

    > There's enough interest in this on campus that we can throw some
    > resources at it. If no one else has this one, we could probably do it.
    > If someone is doing it, how do I get in touch? Comments? Advice

    We need everyone to move to glibc2 first -- then it shouldn't be so
    much of a problem. I'm not sure how we'll make backwards
    compatability work though... perhaps reserve uid_t 0 -> 0xffff for
    backwards compatability and have a personality flag which in
    inherited. This way we can still have libc5 guake and stuff working
    via a small wrapper.

    -Chris

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.019 / U:32.160 seconds]