    SubjectRe: Random Register Contents
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: Chip Salzenberg <>
    In newsgroup:

    > > > And random register contents are a problem because ... ??
    > >
    > > ... because conservative garbage collectors use the registers as root set.
    > Hm, I suppose this could happen.

    It can, and *does* happen... people do use garbage collectors, you know.

    > > Also in theory it is a covert channel.
    > Now _this_ I buy. Bug status confirmed, IMO.

    Not a covert channel, really (Linux doesn't protect against covert
    channels in the classical sense[1] -- by design, as it is far too
    expensive). What it is is an *information leak* -- giving something a
    peephole into something they shouldn't have. This is the same reason
    why platforms which clobber registers across system calls absolutely
    positively must make sure that those registers contain either
    perfectly predictable, harmless, information on return (this may
    happen if the syscall return is sufficiently stylized and in assembly)
    OR they get explicitly cleared (usually the preferred option, because
    it is easier to validate.)

    [1] The classical definition of a covert channel is an unauthorized
    channel between two unprivileged processes. Linux doesn't
    restrict communication between two processes that want to
    communicate with each other; even if they operate inside different
    chroot jails they can on virtually all systems open a loopback TCP
    socket and communicate overtly. Even if that were to be elevated
    to a capability which these processes don't have, Linux has
    plently of high-bandwidth covert channels available; the
    predictable assignment of pids is one of the first things that
    comes to mind.

    Given the way computers are dropping in price, if you really have
    need to keep processes from communicating (a very rare need), you
    can always hard-partition: put them on different boxes.

    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See for web page and full PGP public key
    I am Bahá'í -- ask me about it or see
    "To love another person is to see the face of God." -- Les Misérables

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.024 / U:0.608 seconds]