SubjectRe: 2.0.36 Lockups [reproducable]
Date
Arjan van de Ven stated ...

> On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > > What works after a lockup:
> > > * <ALT>-<Fn> console switching
> > > * Numlock, capslock
> > > * The machine responds to ping's
> >
> > Ok so its locked in kernel mode - thats fine.
> >
> > Play with right-alt right-shift and right-ctrl scroll lock. One will
> > give up EIP values. Hit it repeatedly, write down the numbers and look
> > them up in System.map, then mail me th info
>
> Tried about 20 times, most of the time, some addresses overlapped.
>
> Results
> ==========================
> 163812 ext2_file_write
> 1624d7 ext2_new_block
> 164bc6 ext2_alloc_block
> 161fed ext2_new_block
> 161f9b ext2_new_block
> 136994 dquot_alloc_block
> 164ece inode_getblk
> 165489 ext2_getblk
> 162057 ext2_new_block
> 1624d7 ext2_new_block

This could indicate a corrupted filesystem. Try running e2fsck -f on
all filesystems (you'll probably have to do it from a standalone system).
I encountered something like this myself with 2.0.35, but only one
process got stuck (at 98% cpu utilization), not the whole system. Since
I had massive corruption all over the fs, I backed up what wasn't damaged
and reformatted the partition. All was well after that. Never did find
just why it was currupted in the first place, though.

--
Peter A. Castro (doctor@fruitbat.org) or (pcastro@us.oracle.com)