    SubjectRe: Linux-asm (was A patch for linux 2.1.127)
    Quoting Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu):

    > putchar(0[hw]);
    > hw=+1;

    Is this just me or does this sound a tiny, little
    bit like rpn? Or Australia. Just praise the
    lords that nobody considered to use BCPL instead.

    > No. Unics was designed for game play.

    So Linux was the first system designed with actually
    having applications in mind? I think Linus did it
    to be able to play xbill.

    > Remember that a performance advantage worth 1 year of hardware
    > improvement won't just disappear after a year.

    Since this "it isn't worth optimizing since in some
    months processors catch up" issue appeared the second
    time now, I want to say: Most users don't buy a new
    box to run Linux on every few months, so this point
    is senseless. IMHO, of course.

    ciao,
    johnny
    --