    SubjectRe: fs inode lookup
    In message <74yA6Ko$4iB@ao.morpork.shnet.org>, A. Ott writes:
    +-----
    | For consistency checks in RSBAC I am looking for a way to lookup (or at
    | least check existence of) fs inodes on devices.
    +--->8

    Gak! RSBAC is likely to be rather incompatible with AFS in that case...
    inodes are kludged to make Unix happy; the AFS "address space" uses 4-tuples
    which are much larger than an inode number and there is no usable device
    number. Which means that inode numbers are often duplicated. I recently
    saw a bug report about Solaris ld.so, which assumes it can treat
    device/i-number pairs as unique when it's literally impossible to produce a
    unique ID for an AFS file which will fit into a device/i-number pair, so it
    gets confused if two different shared libraries in an AFS volume get hashed
    to the same i-number.

    --VAA28468.911270987/hilfy.ece.cmu.edu

    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
    system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu
    carnegie mellon / electrical and computer engineering KF8NH
    Kiss my bits, Billy-boy.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.098 / U:30.460 seconds]