SubjectRe: IDE interrupt masking and serial ports (was Re: Lockout during heavy disk I/O)
"Benjamin C.R. LaHaise" wrote:

> Now, I'll repeat a request made previously: would people with IDE HDs that
> corrupt data when used with hdparm -u1 please step forward so we can start
> making blacklists and further debugging?

It's not disks, but rather, interfaces that once had
problems with unmasked IRQs. Specifically, the CMD640
and RZ1000 chips, and *maybe* one other ISA chipset.

No PCI IDE interfaces have exhibited this problem,
and there was only ever one or two systems that had
it anyway, apart from the CMD640/RZ1000 systems
(which the IDE driver now "knows" about and can
handle specially anyway).

But Linus would rather be safe and sluggish by default,
and it's hard (but not impossible) to blame the guy.
--
mlord@pobox.com