SubjectRe: matroxfb, penguins and cursor (was some kernel-digest)
Date
>   To penguin: There was patch flying around two or three weeks ago (in
> linux-kernel) which moved penguins from top to right edge of screen,
> decreasing screen width. After some changes in scrolling code it worked with
> scrollback (by patch author). Unfortunately, patch was mixed together with
> "scroll screen up in n-lines chunks instead of 1 line at time", but that
> part did not work, so I did not even try rest. I think that Geert too.

There are two things which should be done, IMHO:
use redraw and not ypan/ywrap, if the scrolling region does not span the
whole screen (that's what's causing the ugly blinking on top of the screen,
not only when the penguins are shown, but e.g. when you view a file in mc
and scroll in it)
implement software adjustable scrollback, e.g. taking twice the screen size
(e.g. for 128x54 it is 27K) of memory by
default and overridable by command line, where one would store always the
lines moved out of the scrolling region, no matter what is the top of the
scroll region (that would be much better even than the VGA scrollback), and
32K will most people sacrifice for the scrollback (especially when the can
disable it or enlarge it).

> P.S.: softcursor is there for months (years), contributed by Pavel Machek.
> Unfortunately, softcursor does not flash (unfortunately for me, I have
> big problems to find nonblinking cursor).

Concerning softcursor, I think in fbcon on framebuffers with hardware
cursor, one should implement "softcursor" escape sequences in hardware and
add blinking interval as one of the new parameters.
E.g. on Creator, we're now by default using a blinking two scanlines
underlined white cursor, but it is no problem to create another one with a
different xor/and mask. We have a noblink command line option to sbusfb, but
it would be much better to control blinking and colors via escape sequences.
We just have to design a nice API for that in generic fbcon and we're done.

Cheers,
Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University