SubjectRe: Linux-asm (was A patch for linux 2.1.127)
On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Peter Barada wrote:

> First of all I'd recommend that you get a UID that is something
> besides 'root'. I don't think that you'd enjoy what 'rm -r /*' will do
> to your machine...
Huh? If you are talking about the file-server, every file in the ftp
account is owned by root, after it gets automatically copied every
night from ../pub/uploads to ../pub/downloads. When uploaded, it is
owned by ftp as is ONLY the ../pub/uploads directory. This allows
somebody to delete a file in the uploads directory if they want.
However, after it's been on overnight and it gets moved to
../ftp/downloads, it can't be deleted except by root.

> Second I'd recommend that you play in some higher languages unless you
> really want to get utterly lost optimizing functions that contribute
> 0/infinity to the overall processing time of a Linux system....
> Step back and look at the bigger picture or go apply for a job at Cisco...

I have a job. I develop Operating Systems, three completely different
ones so far.

Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.127 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).