    SubjectRe: elevator algorithm bug in ll_rw_blk.c

    On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Tim Smith wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
    > > You could apply a two way elevator well if you knew about the physical
    > > characteristics of the drive. Unfortunately there is no way to find that out
    > > for most modern drives.
    >
    > Actually, by analyzing timings on carefully selected request sequences, you
    > can figure out pretty much all of the physical characteristics of most
    > drives. See

    In fact, we don't care about the geometry of the drives at all. What we
    care about is timings. Would it make sense to have a utility that
    "autocalibrates" drive by performing a series of tests and then generating
    the best scheduler ? Looks like fun :) We don't even have to calibrate for
    writes (at first) , reads take most of time..

    Vladimir Dergachev

    > http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~ganger/papers/
    >
    > --Tim Smith
    >

    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.032 / U:0.644 seconds]