    SubjectRe: Linux-asm (was A patch for linux 2.1.127)
    On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Jamie Lokier wrote:

    > On Sun, Nov 15, 1998 at 10:25:37AM -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    > > The demonstration code was an example of how to pipeline
    > > something that is, buy it's nature, capable of being
    > > pipelined. It is not a fix for something that is not
    > > broken.
    >
    > If you want pipelining, why not help the GCC folks implement better
    > instruction scheduling? One guy is claiming speedups of 30% or more
    > just from better experimental scheduling for an AMD K6.

    Oh yes. This seems to me a far better idea than starting to write asm
    code for specific (or a set of) processors.
    Richard, giving that you have the skills (and seems that you have them),
    it will be much better if you help writing a better C compiler (no jokes)
    squeezing from egcs (here I admit I am using it ... but it works okay so
    far if I use it at -O2 optimization level) the best assembly you can from
    such a beast (hehe ... trying to get that 10 times speedup on C compiled
    code ... I know ... maybe just a dream :)

    Ciao,
    Riccardo.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.039 / U:60.152 seconds]