    SubjectRe: elevator algorithm bug in ll_rw_blk.c
    On 16-Nov-98 Helge Hafting wrote:
    > You would need to do timing tests on every physical cylinder (not
    > knowing where they start in the first place) and build a big table.
    > Not something we want during bootup. And timing could go wrong
    > if anything else happen with the machine in the meantime.

    yes, but doing this when mkfs runs might be feasable
    or perhaps why not tackle a subset of the problem and just optimise swap partitions

    not knowing for sure, but are writes stored per disk or per partition and could
    the ordering of reads/writes be done differenly for say the swap partition as
    opposed to say an ordinary file system?
    putting the swap in the middle of the disk might be an option

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.023 / U:4.084 seconds]