    SubjectRe: elevator algorithm bug in ll_rw_blk.c
    On 16-Nov-98 Helge Hafting wrote:
    > You would need to do timing tests on every physical cylinder (not
    > knowing where they start in the first place) and build a big table.
    > Not something we want during bootup. And timing could go wrong
    > if anything else happen with the machine in the meantime.

    yes, but doing this when mkfs runs might be feasable
    or perhaps why not tackle a subset of the problem and just optimise swap partitions

    not knowing for sure, but are writes stored per disk or per partition and could
    the ordering of reads/writes be done differenly for say the swap partition as
    opposed to say an ordinary file system?
    putting the swap in the middle of the disk might be an option
    --
    simon