SubjectRe: New Solaris 7 features

On 12-Nov-98 Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> Note that executables owned by root could be exempt from checking.
> As long as root owns the JIT compiler, it can run at full speed.

Not really. Conferring extra priviledge onto an executable for merely being
owned by root breaks the well-known security model. It would be easy for
someone to chown an executable to root (without suid/gid bits) without being
aware of the consequences for a Sparc Linux box with 64-bit executables.

This discussion is pretty moot - until there's a clear idea of what sequences
cause problems, there's not much point trying to design a solution. If it's
a matter of simply not allowing mappings in the lower or upper 2^30 bytes of the
address space, that's pretty low cost. If its worse than that, then we need to
think crefully about it.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.114 / U:0.108 seconds]