    SubjectRe: Linux as a SCSI _Target_ device?

    On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Jeff Noxon wrote:

    > One big problem is stuffing a lot of IDE interfaces in a linux box.
    > The hardware would be trivial (i.e. an 8-channel PCI IDE controller).
    > But it's not exactly an off-the-shelf thing.

    If you are building an 'off-the-shelf' Linux based hardware-RAID box,
    you'll be better off with SCSI. No need for Ultra, just Wide and lots of
    cards, lots of disks. Casing is not cheap usually, especially if it's
    hot-swap, but it's such a simple component that i suspect it's just
    because it's a server niche ... Anyway, Linux-RAID scales up to a few 10s
    of MB/sec IO bandwith. To go near 100MB/sec it has to be a careful pick as
    it's near what todays PII based system can provide ... in theory. A single
    (dedicated) A dual-PII can deal with this, the MMX-XOR routine saturates
    memory bandwith up to ~300MB/sec realistically. (of course at the expense
    of CPU time, but this isnt a problem for a dedicated box) I'd worry more
    about PCI bandwith, and about those custom 'generic SCSI device' cards.
    (with such a solution, IO bandwith goes through the PCI bus twice, so we
    have a max about ~100MB/sec)

    -- mingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.020 / U:0.236 seconds]