SubjectRe: Linux as a SCSI _Target_ device?

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, MOLNAR Ingo wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Jeff Noxon wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me if it would be possible to make a Linux system appear
> > to another system as a SCSI target? I want to RAID 5 a whole mess of
> > IDE drives and have it appear to another Linux box as a SCSI hard drive.
> > I'm guessing it would be possible with one of the Symbios chips and some
> > clever hacking. True/False? Where to start?
> >
> > If I need special hardware, I'm out.
> i'm not sure wether such a thing exists in retail, but you also need
> kernel support for this. The point would be to 'export' a block device
> (RAID5) as an SCSI target.

except for the support for scsi target mode on the controller everything
else could be done (a little slower) in user space.

we would need the following

1. configuration/management commands (what are you, reformat yourself,

2. read/write request support, this could simply map a block number (from
the host system) to a spot on a local filesystem

putting this in the kernel would be like NFS, a good speed boost, but not
nessasary to function.

David Lang

> i was thinking about this one yes, this way Linux could be a real
> hardware-RAID box. It's _not_ really complex, but i havent seen this yet.
> The board has to do something like this:
> - send an IRQ if an SCSI command arrives
> - should be able to DMA out to the SCSI bus and also accept DMA
> transfers.
> probably there are some RT considerations (Linux has to react within a
> given timeframe), but maybe not, and Linux can sure can do much better
> than the millisec-timescale of RAID arrays. It is an interesting project.
> True 50-500G hardware-RAID for $5K or so.
> -- mingo
> -
> the body of a message to
> Please read the FAQ at