SubjectRe: .wav output and SB16
"Daniel J. Rodriksson" <djr@dit.upm.es> writes:

> Zlatko Calusic wrote:
> >
> > Dave Meyer <dmeyer@std.saic.com> writes:
> >
> > > According to Michael K Vance:

> > > I've noticed this myself. Sound under quake is fine with 2.1.125ac3,
> > > but with 2.1.127 is complete gibberish.
> > >
> > > Dave
> >
> > Sound Blaster full duplex patch added in 2.1.126, has broken sound in
> > Quake and other software.
> >
> > You can use the following patch to remove SBFDX support and restore
> > sound behaviour in Quake. Patch was made for 2.1.126, but hopefully it
> > applies cleanly to 2.1.127. Enjoy!
> >

> Before assigning the problem to the full duplex patch I'd like
> to say that catting a 16 bit file ( wav ) to /dev/dsp should
> produce nothing but rubbish since /dev/dsp will play in 8 bit
> mode.

And who is talking about cating files to devices?

We have a real application problem here, and it took me some hours to
resolve it. SBFDX produces trouble, that's for sure. Try it
yourself. Run Quake2 (probably also Quake) on 2.1.125 and 2.1.126.
Can you hear a difference?

> Try the same to /dev/dspW ( major 14 minor 5 ) and see what
> happens ( it will probably not be the same as played with
> a special program due to sampling and playing rate differences
> but it will sound fine ).

This is nice, I didn't know that there is /dev/dspW device. I just
tried and it works nice (just one mknod was sufficient). Not that it's
very useful, but... Thanks for hint.

> Only programs mmapping the sb16 device into memory will have
> problems, and I'd be surprised if cat did.

Yep! Exactly that. I hope somebody will eventually find a solution for
that problem. In the meantime, since I don't need FDX, and I
definitely wanted to see how Quake runs... patching, patching... :)

Regards,
--
Posted by Zlatko Calusic E-mail: <Zlatko.Calusic@CARNet.hr>