    SubjectRe: PCI interrupts
    On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Ilia M. Zubkov wrote:

    > I wonder if linux kernel allows user to set PCI interrupts, different
    > to those, preset by motherboard/PCI BIOS?

    In general, device drivers cannot change the PCI interrupt mapping. That's
    done by the BIOS at boot time.
    See
    http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/irq-conflict.html

    [[ Merely changing the IRQ reporting register in PCI config space does not
    change the actual INT->IRQ mapping. ]]

    [[ It's possible for the kernel to have intimate knowledge of the
    motherboard chipset and do the same thing that the BIOS does, but the kernel
    cannot know how every motherboard is wired c.f the recent APIC code. So
    the short answer "no" is pretty much accurate. ]]

    > For example, is it possible to set to different interrupts five ethernet
    > cards if BIOS does not allow to choose which PCI card should use which
    > interrupt?

    Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
    Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD. 20771
    301-286-0882 http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.020 / U:30.228 seconds]