SubjectRe: e2fsck...
On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Mofeed Shahin wrote:

> > Ive done it in the past as an emergency measure.. but i wouldnt make a
> > habbit of it :)
> >
> > might be risky :)
> >
> > if i wanna repair a partition an old slackware boot disk comes in handy :)
>
> So let me get this straight, If I want to check my file system for errors
> there is no problems, but if I want to fix any errors found I have to
> reboot via a boot disk, and then e2fsck the now unmounted drive ?
>
> If true (makes sense since it is a multitasking environment), then this is
> not so good for my internet gateway, which may have some corruption.
> But hey no use winging about it.

Well its not really a problem, ext2 is a very sturdy filesystem, if you do
experiance trouble then one reboot isnt going to worry, if your
experiencing frequent errors then you may have other problems. i.e power
supply related or drive related..

Regards, Jim.

__ name: james woodward (jim)
/ . _ _ email: jim@jim.southcom.com.au, jim@woodward.southcom.com.au